U.S. Travel Agency June Air Ticket Sales Increase 87% Year Over Year
ARLINGTON, Va.–(BUSINESS WIRE)–Airlines Reporting Corp. (ARC) today released data showing ARC-accredited travel agency air ticket…
ARLINGTON, Va.–(BUSINESS WIRE)–Airlines Reporting Corp. (ARC) today released data showing ARC-accredited travel agency air ticket sales totaling $7.9 billion in June 2022, an 87% year-over-year increase from June 2021.* The average U.S. round-trip air travel ticket price was $605 in June 2022, a 33% year-over-year increase and a 4% decrease from the May 2022 average.
Month over month, June 2022 results showed:
- Total sales decreased 6%.
- Total passenger trips down 5%.
- U.S. domestic trips decreased 4%.
- International trips decreased 7%.
“In pre-pandemic years, we typically saw an 8-12% decline in total sales and passenger trips from May to June,” said Steve Solomon, vice president of global customers and data products at ARC. “The smaller month-over-month decline in total sales and passenger trips shows air travel demand remains strong for both domestic and international itineraries.”
Total passenger trips settled by ARC in June 2022 increased 23% year over year from 17.5 million to 21.6 million, led by a 52% year-over-year increase in international trips, which totaled 7.9 million. U.S. domestic trips increased 11% to 13.7 million over the same period.
EMD sales increased 67% year over year to $13,730,386. EMD transactions increased 37% to 233,258 over the same period.**
More detailed information is available on ARC’s sales statistics page. Additional breakdown of corporate, leisure and online ticket sales can be found on the ARC COVID-19 data page.
ARC accelerates the growth of global air travel by delivering forward-looking travel data, flexible distribution services and other innovative industry solutions. We are a leading travel intelligence company that possesses the world’s largest, most comprehensive global airline ticket dataset, including more than 15 billion passenger flights representing 490 airlines and 230 countries and territories. Our solutions and expertise strengthen economies and enrich lives by connecting stakeholders across the travel ecosystem. For more information, visit arccorp.com.
- Results are based on monthly sales data ending June 30, 2022, from 10,641 U.S. retail and corporate travel agency locations, satellite ticket printing offices and online travel agencies. Results do not include sales of tickets purchased directly from airlines.
- The average ticket price (USD) is for a round-trip ticket settled through ARC for an itinerary that included only U.S. domestic travel.
- Passenger trips include the total number of passengers taking a trip from one airport to another using direct or connecting flights. Newly issued trips are added, and refunded trips are deducted to provide a net view of traveling passengers.
- U.S. domestic passenger trips include the total number settled through ARC where the itinerary is wholly within the U.S. International passenger trips include the total number settled through ARC where some or all the travel occurs to airports outside the U.S. or originates outside the U.S.
- Total sales are equal to the total amount paid for a ticket, which includes taxes and fees.
**Electronic Miscellaneous Documents (EMD)
- Includes fees for products and services such as upgraded seats, checked bags, an unaccompanied minor, pet-in-cabin, etc.
© Airlines Reporting Corporation (ARC). All rights reserved.